How to treat stye of a child’s eye: causes, symptoms and treatment.
Contents of this article:
Eye Stye is an unpleasant disease for children. It is on the eyelids, and requires immediate treatment. It is widely believed that children that are more prone to stye are not usually taught enough to follow the rules of personal hygiene. However, the causes of the disease are much more than this.
CAUSES OF CHILD’S EYE STYE
Before treating child stye, it is very important to find out the factors that cause the disease. Among them, there can be defined:
- Hypothermia, which reduces the overall protective functions in the body and allows the bacteria to multiply rapidly.
- Immunosuppression. The immune system in the body of the child protects it from bacterial contamination. Slight failure of the immune system work leads to the skin bacteria penetrating into the deeper tissue layers. It causes various inflammatory processes, including stye.
- Changes in the hormonal balance. Often, children can have stye during the time of adjustment of the endocrine system. At this time, there is a violation of production of the secret, produced by the sebaceous glands. It becomes more viscous, and clogs the ducts of glands. Due to the same reason, there is emergence of acne.
- Other disease of the child’s body. In most cases, children with diabetes and gastrointestinal diseases can have stye.
- Heredity. Sometimes you can see how stye occurs in families. This phenomenon is explained by the fact that they are all carriers of pathogenic strains of Staphylococcus aureus. It does not mean that the disease is contagious. It is just that exactly in this family there is a common skin strain of Staphylococcus aureus, which is very resistant to antibiotics, that makes the treatment difficult.
- Wearing contact lenses.
CHILD’S EYE STYE: THE SYMPTOMS
1. Redness, itching and swelling of the eyelid;
2. High temperature, increasing regional lymph nodes;
3. Weakness and headache.
If the stye is external, then in a few days there will appear a capsule with purulent contents at the edge of the eyelid. It will burst in next 3-4 days, and it will let the purulence come out.
External stye on a child eye (photo):
Internal stye in a child is one on the inner surface of the eyelid. It may be complicated by phlegmon of the eyelid, purulent meningitis, or thrombophlebitis of the eyelid.
THE TREATMENT OF CHILD’S EYE STYE
Nowadays it is not difficult to find information how to treat stye of a child’s eye. However, many parents hope that the disease will disappear on its own, which indeed happens sometimes. Nevertheless, it is always necessary to understand that you should immediately visit an ophthalmologist after the symptoms of stye are defined.It will help to prevent other diseases such as chalazion, inflammation of which is in the deeper tissue layers. Moreover, a doctor will assign the proper treatment. Click here to see a picture of a 1-year-old child stye.
Firstly, stye treatment begins immediately after the first symptoms are defined. After this, doctors prescribe:
- Cauterization of stye using 70% alcohol solution, brilliant green or iodine;
- Dry heat, unless patient has a fever; UHF therapy has a good effect;
- Medicinal ointments, such as tetracycline, albucid, hydrocortisone, and other;
- Using eye drops like Similasan, that can be used for children under 1 year*;
- Washing with baby soap.
Moreover, it is noted that stye can not stand sunlight, so sun bathing will facilitate recovery. Internal child’s stye does not require special treatment. However, it will be much longer. If there is a high temperature, antibiotics such as tetracycline should be prescribed to use per oral.
Children’s eye stye disease, pictures of which can be seen above, should encourage parents to make everything possible for disease to not to happen again. For this purpose, the child should follow the rules of personal hygiene. If a child wears contact lenses, parents have to teach the child how to keep and put on the lenses properly.
Frequent child’s eye styes should be a sign that a thorough examination of child’s body is needed. It will help to identify the causes of the disease.
Stye of a child’s eye brings many worries for parents. Most often, it happens because they do not have sufficient information. Knowing the basic symptoms, causes and treatments of children’s eye stye will help to diagnose the disease and start the treatment timely.
Article updated 04.03.2017