How to prevent stye?
Any disease is easier to be prevented than to be cured. Stye is not an exception. Therefore, in order to prevent the disease and reduce the risk of recurrence, you should regularly improve the immunity, be physically active, avoid stress, hypothermia, and eat well. Also, do not let the disease to become chronic, and follow the rules of good personal hygiene.
You are at high risk of stye if you:
- Touch your eyes with unwashed hands;
- Put your contact lenses without thoroughly disinfecting them or washing your hands;
- Leave makeup overnight;
- Use old or expired cosmetics;
- Have blepharitis, a chronic inflammation along the edge of the eyelid;
- Have rosacea, a skin condition with facial redness.
To prevent eye infections:
- Wash your hands. Wash your hands with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer several times each day. Keep your hands away from your eyes.
- Take care with cosmetics. Reduce your risk of recurrent eye infections by throwing away old cosmetics. Don’t share your cosmetics with others. Don’t wear eye makeup overnight.
- Make sure your contact lenses are clean. If you wear contact lenses, wash your hands thoroughly before handling your contacts and follow your doctor’s advice on disinfecting them.
- Apply warm compresses. If you’ve had stye before, using a compress regularly may help prevent it from coming back.
- Manage blepharitis. If you have blepharitis, follow your doctor’s instructions for caring for your eyes.
Strengthening the immune system is the main method of prevention of the stye occurrence. For this purpose, take vitamins from time to time. The vitamins, involved in regeneration of skin, e.g. vitamins A and C, are especially useful.
In addition, it is recommended to detox the body. Follow a special diet for 3-10 days. There is the main requirement: eat only raw products, such as fruits and vegetables, as well as drink herbal teas and mineral water, use dairy products.
Treatment with herbs has a dual effect. Herbs can be used as a drink, for baths and lotions; some herbal lotions can be instilled into the eyes.
Use fresh tansy flowers 3 times a day. This will help to cure stye, and will prevent its re-occurrence. For this purpose, eat 5 to 7 flowers of tansy, and do not forget to drink some water then. The duration of treatment course may vary from 4 to 7 days.
If an inflammation is severe, decoction of calendula may help. To prepare it, dried calendula flowers are to be boiled, then infused and used as a lotion.
Use Echinacea extract for treating stye and for strengthening the immune system. It is available in local pharmacies and in various forms (extract, tablet, tincture etc). You can use the Echinacea extract as an eye wash.