Stye Medecine: All Proven Methods
Contents of this article:
Very often, there is an eye redness and slight swelling. Most likely, this an eye stye (hordeolum). But do not rush to buy medicines: to cope with this unaesthetic problem you can use home remedies.
Stye is a painful inflammation of the sebaceous gland and the hair follicle at the edge of the eyelid. Most people worry, discovering this defect, but no need to panic as stye is treated easily. It disappears for a week, leaving no serious consequences.
But you should know what are the reasons of an eye stye. One of the reasons is a bacterial infection that can be entered because of non-compliance with the elementary rules of hygiene, because of what stye appears. There are other reasons:
- stressful situations;
- postoperative period and carrying over severe disease;
- not following the rules of hygiene;
- effects on the eyes outside factors such as dust in the air by entering the smallest particles;
- metabolic disease;
- vitamin deficiencies;
- severe depletion may due to fatigue; a weakened immune system due to chronic diseases;
- use of others cosmetics;
- contaminated tools for applying make-up, such as applicators, brushes and sponges;
- inflammation of the eyelid edge — blepharitis;
- inflammation of the eye — conjunctivitis.
You see, that any of these things can cause an eye stye. But everybody should be ready to treat this disease, if he faces to it. In this article, you can find some methods of treatment of it. Some people, when they see such kind of problem, hurry to make a visit to the nearest clinic, start to panic, but you shouldn’t, try to use some home remedies. First, you should determine do you really have an eye stye, for this try to get to know some symptoms of it:
- if you feel the itching and burning in the eyelid, perhaps it is stye — symptoms herald the appearance an abscess.
- sometimes the disease is accompanied by a sharp rise in temperature, pain in the eyes.
- the first signs of an eye stye after some time can be replaced by a characteristic swelling, which later turn into an abscess.
- after 2-5 days, when the inflammation increases, on top of a swelling abscess appears, and then when you remove that there us some festering mass.
It is strictly forbidden to squeeze or puncture the abscess yourself, as it can only worsen the condition of the patient and lead to more serious diseases such as sepsis, meningitis, cavernous sinus thrombosis and abscess of the orbit. You may experience a situation where stye under the eye does not fester, but simply passes, disappears, is not inflamed. This is quite normal.
But if you don’t have this kind of “normal situation” try to follow some home remedies:
- Mix 100g of tutsan and 100 g of chamomile, and pour with 200 ml of boiling water. Then, leave the remedy to infuse until it gets completely cool. After this, the infusion should be filtered, and a cotton pad soaked in this infusion, it should be put to the sick area every hour.
- Boil 100g of tutsan in 1 liter of boiling water, and drink as tea.
- Chop a cabbage leaf without using any metal objects, and add 1 raw egg protein. Cover the mix with a cotton cloth, and put it to the area of inflammation for 30 minutes. The procedure may be made every 3 hours. The eye should be open while making the procedure.
- Eyebright. Eyebright herb is generally used for treatment of eye problems. It contains some chemicals that make it anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Use Eyebright herb as compress. Mix it with some of colloidal silver to help killing the bacteria.
- Raspberry leaf. The raspberry leaf treatment for eye stye is part of the home remedies. It contains a lot of chemicals and minerals that make it an antiseptic, astringent and a tonic herb. All these qualities are good in treating bacterial infections such as stye on the eyelid. Put some dried leaves in a cup of boiling water and let it soak. In about an hour, you should strain the water. Soak a piece of cotton or clean towel in this water and put it on the eye.
- Echinacea. Use this extract for treating stye and to strengthening the immune system. It is available in local pharmacies and in various forms. You can use the Echinacea extract as an eye wash.
- Baked onion. For making, it you will need to bake onion in the oven, and then peel the first few layers. Then, put them on a gauze, roll up, and put on the sick eye. The procedure may be repeated every day during 4-6 days before the bedtime.
- Washing an eye with Furacin solution is good for rapid treatment of stye. To do this, use one pill of the medication, macerated in 1 cup of water.
- Warm compress. First, wet a clean towel with hot water (but not boiling) and put it on closed eye for 10-15 minutes, repeating 2-3 times a day. This simple procedure will increase circulation to the inflammation area and speed up the treatment process.
In addition, some more useful pieces of advice on how to treat stye at home:
- Fatty ointments that contain vegetable or animal fat are not recommended for a stye treatment at home. It is better to use the ointment with antibacterial action that is prescribed by a doctor.
- It is good to avoid decorative cosmetics during a stye treatment process. Wash your face using chamomile infusion or children’s soap.
- Do not try to squeeze or dissect a stye capsule with purulent contents on your own under any circumstances. It can cause the spread of infection in the deeper tissues.
In addition, you can use some ointment treatment. Here you can see:
1. Erythromycin ointment is the most common tool in treating the disease. Its action is the destruction of certain bacteria, such as staphylococci, streptococci, bacillus and others. However, despite the effectiveness of this drug, the bacteria quickly develop resistance to erythromycin. Therefore, treatment is made according to the scheme drawn up by your doctor. The ointment should not be used during pregnancy and lactation.
2. Hydrocortisone ointment is very popular anti-inflammatory remedy. It is produced in 3g tubes. If it is prescribed by a doctor, it is allowed to be used even by pregnant women, but not longer than during 7 days. Despite the effectiveness of the drug, it has a number of contraindications and side effects, so, before applying, it is advisable to consult with experts. In addition, hydrocortisone does not cure the underlying disease, but only removes its unpleasant symptoms.
If your stye is very painful, OTC painkillers, such as Paracetamol, Tylenol or Ibuprofen, may help to ease pain and other symptoms. Follow the instructions from the manufacturer to make sure you’re taking the correct dosage.
When to See a Doctor
Unfortunately, sometimes sties need to be professionally drained. Don’t waste your time, if your hordeolum becomes larger, more painful, or doesn’t clear up a few days after starting home treatment, contact your doctor.
If you don’t want to suffer from this unpleasant disease, we advise you to strengthen your immunity. For this, we need to eat right, to include in the diet more vitamin products, vegetables and fruit. Exercise and physical activity are more likely to be outdoors, work out every day, walking. Moreover, most importantly, try to think positively and look at life with optimism!