Stye treatment using eye ointments
Contents of this article:
Stye is a common eye disease. In addition to the pain it causes, it is ruining person’s appearance. Today, there are many medications with antibacterial effect for the stye treatment. Anti-stye eye ointments allow to prolong the drug action when they are put on the site of inflammation.
Anti-stye ointments: advantages and disadvantages
The main advantage of the use of ointments for stye is that they increase the duration of the drug action. Moreover, the ointment can be left on the eyelid for the whole night.
The disadvantages of the use of ointments include:
- Slow absorption of the active substance;
- It is not necessary for systemic effect of such form of a medication;
- Vision is blurry, and there is discomfort in the eye;
- Excipients of an ointment, in some cases, serve as a breeding ground for bacteria, which may cause secondary infection.
The most common ophthalmic anti-stye ointment
1. Erythromycin ointment is the most common tool in treating the disease. Its action is the destruction of certain bacteria, such as staphylococci, streptococci, bacillus and others. However, despite the effectiveness of this drug, the bacteria quickly develop resistance to erythromycin. Therefore, treatment is made according to the scheme drawn up by your doctor. The ointment should not be used during pregnancy and lactation.
2. Hydrocortisone ointment is very popular anti-inflammatory remedy. It is produced in 3g tubes. If it is prescribed by a doctor, it is allowed to be used even by pregnant women, but not longer than during 7 days. Despite the effectiveness of the drug, it has a number of contraindications and side effects, so, before applying, it is advisable to consult with experts. In addition, hydrocortisone does not cure the underlying disease, but only removes its unpleasant symptoms.
3. Tetracycline ointment (outdated method) is an excellent anti-inflammatory remedy which has bactericidal action. Like any other antibiotic, it is good to be used under medical control.
How to use the ointment for stye properly?
- Wash your hands thoroughly before applying the ointment.
- The ointment is used as follows: you should pull the lower eyelid and put the ointment, starting from the inner corner of the eye.
- Carefully read the instructions that are offered with the medicine.
Drops and ointments for eye stye are essential medicines to fight with the disease. However, before you think which anti-stye ointment or drops are the most effective, it is advisable to consult an ophthalmologist.
Ophthalmic ointment for stye is a good tool in the treatment of the disease. It has a long medicine action, so you can quickly cure the disease without any harm to health.
Article updated 14.12.2016